Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I bit the bullet and decided to buy the hardware needed to put in satellite, but was not willing to pay $150.00 labor...so todaya was my day. It took me about 3 hours but went in as expected with a couple of nice surprises and a couple of dissapointments. If you decide this is something you want to tackle and have any questions, please feel free to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
well, I bit the bullet and decided to buy the hardware needed to put in satellite, but was not willing to pay $150.00 labor...so todaya was my day. It took me about 3 hours but went in as expected with a couple of nice surprises and a couple of dissapointments. If you decide this is something you want to tackle and have any questions, please feel free to ask.
How is the quality of sound? Is it any better than FM?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
nissan xm satellite radio?

StvMLNJ said:
How is the quality of sound? Is it any better than FM?
was it from nissan by clarion?
can you take some pics of it and your install for us all?
i saw one for 379.00 here on this website
labor is 250.00 plus tax at my dealer in memphis
thanks in advance
i have had 2 xm radios before. the first was the very first one by sony and the current is in my 2003 monte carlo ss pace car.
it had factory xm for 325
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I think it sounds better than FM primary cause I get to hear what I want :) - and yes, I think the quality of the sound is a little (that's not much) better. $379.00 sounds about right for a WEB price - I paid $224.00 through the dealship after I let them know how unhappy I was about the whole Satellite "deal"...I drove around for 2 months with an add-on Sirius box on my dash and it was driving me nuts. Sadly, I have yet to buy a digital camera so the install photos will have to wait - but the instructions were reletively clear and easy to follow. Figuring out which brackets to use and how was the trickiest part. My biggest regret was not completely disconnecting the Accelerator Control Module and rather only disconnecting the 3 bolts that hold it to the firewall - a big mistake as it caused me un-needed frustraion and an unwanted scratch on the lower knee protector panel.

Some surprises (and dissapointments) I ran into were mostly concerning the radio itself - I have an LE KC w/the Rockford Fosgate upgrade (type C). Text does not scroll (really now, how could they not include this feature!!) - Even my FM RDS stations scroll text. Another is that I am only to set 18 presets TOTAL - I assumed that I would have been able to set 18 for each AM, FM and SAT mode - you can however mix 'n match (each of the 3 preset groups can have presets set for any of the AM, FM and/or SAT modes). The through-the-window antenna does not look as appealing as the roof mount type (to me). On the flip side and what made it all worth while is...reception is fantastic, commercials are gone, I can once again use my steering wheel controls for all the modes I listen to, the clarity and the sound is damn near cd quality and I DID IT MYSELF!! (yea, a little proud)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
...I drove around for 2 months with an add-on Sirius box on my dash and it was driving me nuts.
What about the Sirius box drove you crazy? Which box was it? I am considering getting one. Sirius has NPR, XM doesn't.

Thanks,

--Gary
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,244 Posts
glm1157 said:
What about the Sirius box drove you crazy? Which box was it? I am considering getting one. Sirius has NPR, XM doesn't.

Thanks,

--Gary
I saw on the net that XM is supposed to have better sound quality. True or No ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
bestatchess said:
I saw on the net that XM is supposed to have better sound quality. True or No ?
It will if you want it too. That's like Saying CDs from Sony sound better than those from Philips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
well, I bit the bullet and decided to buy the hardware needed to put in satellite, but was not willing to pay $150.00 labor...so todaya was my day. It took me about 3 hours but went in as expected with a couple of nice surprises and a couple of dissapointments. If you decide this is something you want to tackle and have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Does the OEM XM unit have a dual (the green and yellow plugs) or single antenna input? I plan on getting a different antenna, and need to know if I need the splitter or not.

Also, I noticed a lot of stuff comes with the receiver, like a ground wire, 2 sided tape, velcro, etc... I'm guessing maybe you don't need the mounting brackets that are a seperate part number?

Finally, it appears my N-Bus wire is mounted in front of the amp and little computer module (closer to the driver) and not inbetween the amp and module as shown in the instructions. Was yours this way?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
answers...

Does the OEM XM unit have a dual (the green and yellow plugs) or single antenna input? I plan on getting a different antenna, and need to know if I need the splitter or not.

The XM unit has a dual green/yellow.

Also, I noticed a lot of stuff comes with the receiver, like a ground wire, 2 sided tape, velcro, etc... I'm guessing maybe you don't need the mounting brackets that are a seperate part number?

I ended up with all kinds of extra "parts" - but fear not, the install was done completely and correctly - drove all day today and I'll be damned if you could tell the difference between my "$250.00" install or a pros. I also ended up with the ground lead you mention (which I'll use for something else someday), velco and adhesive pads, 8 screws, 4 brackets - I suspected that it was becasue of differing types of radios are accomodated in each pkg.

Finally, it appears my N-Bus wire is mounted in front of the amp and little computer module (closer to the driver) and not inbetween the amp and module as shown in the instructions. Was yours this way?

It was..this was one of the most confusing parts of the install. The same cable harness you remove from the AMP is the same one you'll put back. The N cable harness you connect to the XM receiver is currently taped to another cable and is currently not connected to anything. Does that answer your question?

I saw on the net that XM is supposed to have better sound quality. True or No ?

Yes and No. The XM sounds better now than my Sirius because it is an integral part of the Audio. My Sirius was the Auto Shuttle (SIR PNP-2) that played through the FM so the the sound was not 100%...however, The Sirius head unit I had in my Frontier sounded as good as the XM now does in my Titan. Sirius says they are coming out with a compatible receiver in Oct/Nov of this year. SHould be the same...I just didn't want to wait.

What about the Sirius box drove you crazy? Which box was it? I am considering getting one. Sirius has NPR, XM doesn't.

There really is no place to mount it (and it was FM modulated). I ended up with it on my dash in the "pocket" just above the strereo and though there were things I liked about it (like reviewing 6 stations at once, 20 song auto-notify, etc), it just made the inside of my rig look mickey mouse - cables, remote, etc). I got it primarily becasue I had Sirius in my Frontier and they do not have a receiver for it yet. So I now have Sirius in my bedroom with an auto antenna on my roof - it's actually pretty cool.


:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
bvstone1 said:
It will if you want it too. That's like Saying CDs from Sony sound better than those from Philips.

I do remember reading that Sirius uses a better encoding process than XM, again I may be all wet on this. I personally think that XM is ahead of the game with having better consumer hardware currently.



Don't think the Sony Philips compairison works in this case, as both use the RedBook standard for the disc encoding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
Finally, it appears my N-Bus wire is mounted in front of the amp and little computer module (closer to the driver) and not inbetween the amp and module as shown in the instructions. Was yours this way?

It was..this was one of the most confusing parts of the install. The same cable harness you remove from the AMP is the same one you'll put back. The N cable harness you connect to the XM receiver is currently taped to another cable and is currently not connected to anything. Does that answer your question?
Yes it does. Thanks a million for answering all these questions. I went looking for the n-bus cable and in the directions it shows it hooked to the amp bracket. I saw nothing there, but I did see a harness hooked to nothing right behind the dash. So I assumed that was the right one.

I was wondering about all the other parts, especially the ground cable mainly because when I ordered the kit the brackets are on backorder. But, it looks like you could easily get away without using them and simply use 2 sided tape to stick it under the dash, or on the amp bracket. I would assume the harness has ground, but it may be safe to use the ground wire without the brackets just in case it gets a ground from the brackets. This type of mounting would also mean you don't have to take everything apart under the dash.. just the kickpanels to run the antenna wires. Making it much easier!

The antenna question helps because I know which antenna I can get since I don't like the looks of the window mount and they have new micro antennas that I could mount on the roof, and they are magnetic now.

Thanks again! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey bvstone1...

bvstone1 said:
Yes it does. Thanks a million for answering all these questions. I went looking for the n-bus cable and in the directions it shows it hooked to the amp bracket. I saw nothing there, but I did see a harness hooked to nothing right behind the dash. So I assumed that was the right one.

I was wondering about all the other parts, especially the ground cable mainly because when I ordered the kit the brackets are on backorder. But, it looks like you could easily get away without using them and simply use 2 sided tape to stick it under the dash, or on the amp bracket. I would assume the harness has ground, but it may be safe to use the ground wire without the brackets just in case it gets a ground from the brackets. This type of mounting would also mean you don't have to take everything apart under the dash.. just the kickpanels to run the antenna wires. Making it much easier!

The antenna question helps because I know which antenna I can get since I don't like the looks of the window mount and they have new micro antennas that I could mount on the roof, and they are magnetic now.

Thanks again! :cheers:

The directions never mentioned connecting a gnd lead to the brackets and honestly, I didn't think of connecting one to it at the time (or until now for that matter). The original AMP bracket did not have one, so I saw no need. With respect to the brackets, you only have to change one side of the 2-sided AMP bracket that is already in place - the replacement one allows for you to connect the receiver to the AMP bracket). You should probably wait to get the right brackets as there is not a lot of room for error under the dash.

I didn't know about a micro roof mount antenna - I too am not happy with the appearance/style of the through the glass one I installed this weekend. Do you have a link you could send?

Good luck

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mis-type

I incorrectly wrote...
With respect to the brackets, you only have to change one side of the 2-sided AMP bracket that is already in place - the replacement one allows for you to connect the receiver to the AMP bracket). You should probably wait to get the right brackets as there is not a lot of room for error under the dash.

It should have read...

With respect to the brackets, you only have to change one side of the 2-sided AMP bracket that is already in place - the one bracket you change has a cut-out to allow you to connect the antenna leads and N-bus harness to the XM receiver (you also need 2 smaller brackets that allow you to connect the receiver to the AMP bracket). You should probably wait to get the right brackets as there is not a lot of room for error under the dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Warranty on Vehicle?

Just Curious, since I haven't been able to find a answer about installation of an XM Radio or DVD System. Doing the work yourself, does this void the factory warranty in any way. I've heard people say, that it voids the entire vehicle warranty, others, just the radio. Does anyone know the real answer for this question? I've even heard that if you have someone else change the oil (other than Nissan), it voids the warranty on the truck? Doesn't quite make sense, but makes you wonder.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
I didn't know about a micro roof mount antenna - I too am not happy with the appearance/style of the through the glass one I installed this weekend. Do you have a link you could send?

Good luck

:cheers:
Check out www.xmradio.com. They have the commander shown there with one of the new micro antennas. Looks pretty small, and there other low-profile ones that are a lot smaller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
cgoulette said:
Just Curious, since I haven't been able to find a answer about installation of an XM Radio or DVD System. Doing the work yourself, does this void the factory warranty in any way. I've heard people say, that it voids the entire vehicle warranty, others, just the radio. Does anyone know the real answer for this question? I've even heard that if you have someone else change the oil (other than Nissan), it voids the warranty on the truck? Doesn't quite make sense, but makes you wonder.

Thanks.
No, it won't void the warrenty unless you mess it up. And then only things affected by your incompetent work. So, if you do not feel you have the skills, don't do it.

But for the XM thing, it's pretty straightforward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
I incorrectly wrote...
With respect to the brackets, you only have to change one side of the 2-sided AMP bracket that is already in place - the replacement one allows for you to connect the receiver to the AMP bracket). You should probably wait to get the right brackets as there is not a lot of room for error under the dash.

It should have read...

With respect to the brackets, you only have to change one side of the 2-sided AMP bracket that is already in place - the one bracket you change has a cut-out to allow you to connect the antenna leads and N-bus harness to the XM receiver (you also need 2 smaller brackets that allow you to connect the receiver to the AMP bracket). You should probably wait to get the right brackets as there is not a lot of room for error under the dash.
In a quick look under the dash I saw room right where the XM unit goes, and another spot under the dash that you could easily mount the receiver too using 2 sided tape, or by fasioning a DIY bracket. I'm going to give it a try either way. Who knows how long I'd have to wait for the bracket on BO.

The only bad thing about taping it to the amp would be direct heat from the amp itself, but I assume there isn't much space between the receiver and amp when using the bracket either. maybe 1/4"? And the heatsinks appear to be on the sides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Just looked this up in the service manual (regarding the ground strap that comes with the kit)

Satellite Radio Tuner (Pre-wiring) (With Midline and Premium Systems)
The satellite radio tuner pre-wiring allows connection of a satellite radio tuner.
Power is supplied at all times
 through 20A fuse [No. 31, located in the fuse and fusible link box]
 to satellite radio tuner pre-wiring terminal 32.
With the ignition switch in the ACC or ON position, power is supplied
 through 10A fuse [No. 4, located in the fuse block (J/B)]
 to satellite radio tuner pre-wiring terminal 36.
Ground is supplied through the case of the satellite radio tuner.

So, that answers my question. I would need to use the ground strap if I use two sided tape to attach it. Seems odd it would be that way. normally this isn't done anymore because it can introduce ground loops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with the ground loop concerns

Thanks BV for the antenna tip. I'll check it out...good luck with the DIY brackets!!
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top