Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I recently installed my AVIC-D3 navigation. I read many post where people hated the fitment of the Scosche kit and the Metra dash kit is pricey....

I went to my local CAR TOYS and the titan metra kit was 90 bucks! the Xterra kit was 16 bucks....bestbuy, anywhere should have these kits in stock...

Since I already had the Pioneer AVIC-D3 installed in my SE dash, I figured the Xterra trim would hide the gap perfect and it did!! :redblob"

I read where most people just live with the gap and never buy any trim kit at all.........I figured I would try this and it worked!

This is my dash:

I then just purchased the cheap $16 dollar Metra 2nd gen (2005+) Nissan Xterra dash kit and used the double din little trim piece only.

The kit comes with a single din and cubby hole piece as well, just toss that since its not needed.

I used this piece circled, and cut off the two ears shown:

Finished product with Xterra trim piece:

Aside from the Xterra kit, im sure others may work, but the Xterra kit works great.

I will update later, i did have to mount the AVIC-d3 on the top holes, thus dropping the D3 down a few millimieters to make it center in my SE dash.

I used NO spacers when mounting the D3 to the dash, all my rear wires fit no problem..

See my original AVIC-D3 questions thread here:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...d3-install-what-i-got-figured-out-so-far.html
-J

·
Registered
615 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the AVIC-D3 in particular, I found to make this work i used the upper mount holes instead of the holes given from this pic on another thread............I took this pic and edited it to show what i mean:

-J

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have an AVIC-Z2 with the Metra trim plate in my truck... looks fine to me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Nice, all the AVIC threads I read, and pics i found had a nasty gap or complained on fitments and finish quality on the kit..

what year is your Titan? how much was your metra kit?
do you know if the Z2 is dimensionally slightly bigger than the D3? that may be why??? dunno??

I just liked retaining my oem piece...

-J

·
Registered
605 Posts
My truck is a 2008. As for cost of the Metra I have no clue... I bought my truck with all this stuff and only figured out it was a Metra trim plate when I took it out to install my XM module.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ cool......thanks for the pic....hope all this helps someone........yours does look good and seems to fit great...

I was unsure when doing mine, i installed my D3 and simply put my oem dash back on, and had the gap for a few days till i finally got a chance to go pick up the dash kit........prior to going, i came up with the idea of just finishing it off with the trim kit from an Xterra......since we own an 08 Xterra with a AVIC-D3 as well.

when I went to my local CAR TOYS store here in DFW I asked to look at both kits and when they told me the metra Titan kit was 90 bucks, i figured, crap, ill try the Xterra one as it looks just perfect and since I knew how it went in with our Xterra....

I also didn't have to swap ac buttons, etc to the Metra piece....

its a data point at least........hopefully this thread helps someone down the road.......
-J

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was just out in my truck and took a closer look. It appears the AVIC-Z2 sort of has it's own "trim" around it. Since it's a flip down setup it's a bit different than your D3 unit. I'll bet it is a little bit bigger as it fills the gaps on mine. I couldn't fit that trim piece you have.

So the silver piece on yours is the OEM part? The only aftermarket trim is the black filler "ring" that went around the D3?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was just out in my truck and took a closer look. It appears the AVIC-Z2 sort of has it's own "trim" around it. Since it's a flip down setup it's a bit different than your D3 unit. I'll bet it is a little bit bigger as it fills the gaps on mine. I couldn't fit that trim piece you have.
oh i see!! okay, that makes sense, it probably is a bit bigger then...Im not up to par on the differences in pioneer units....good info...

So the silver piece on yours is the OEM part? The only aftermarket trim is the black filler "ring" that went around the D3?
YES, exactly, the silver is my OEM SE dash...only thing added is the lil thin RING around like circled in the 2nd pic above showing the kit pieces..

-J

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For reference here is a pic in our Xterra with the same Metra kit ring:

The Metra P/N kit i used was 99-7581:

Sorry for the blurry pic - but as you can see, the kit comes with single and double din pieces.........all you need is "item D" shown circled.

-J

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think we're living parallel lives....

1. CC SWB Titan SE with folding bench vs. full center console

2. Pioneer Nav setups installed in trucks

3. Gay little dogs

4. Have sportscars that are tracked/raced

and now this....

5. My GF has a 2007 X-terra....

Now that's pretty strange.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took another pic.......this is just showing the little trim ring sitting on the factory SE face...

-J

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
I don't suppose you would be willing to part with one of the nav dvd's? The bink sound when changing tracks on my ipod is driving my crazy, and I have been told that the only way to adjust it or turn it down is in the nav menu, which i can't access without a stinkin nav disc. Here's a shot of my setup:

Which mounting holes did you use in your X when mounting the D3? The same as the Titan?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I don't suppose you would be willing to part with one of the nav dvd's? The bink sound when changing tracks on my ipod is driving my crazy, and I have been told that the only way to adjust it or turn it down is in the nav menu, which i can't access without a stinkin nav disc. Here's a shot of my setup:

Which mounting holes did you use in your X when mounting the D3? The same as the Titan?
Hi,

I actually may have another set of disc? let me check on that....I have installed d3's in nearly every family members car after they have seen our set up....

You dont have any disc for your D3?? I'm guessing you just use the garmin for nav and the D3 solely for radio/ipod??

Ill check my Xterra install pics...I should have the pics showning which ones i used, but it looks like you got yours perfect....you just need the Metra trim kit ring im using...

I do know that i loved the way the D3 mounts in the Xterra...very solid steel brackets, etc....I actually got security fasteners and even "back strapped" it into the dash with sheet metal screws into the rear dash steel piping...

I use a little of "sight unseen" methodology....and both my wife and I carry small black kitchen towels in your vehicles........when we park anywhere, we simply throw it over the dash and it hides the navigations....."out of sight, out of mind" and hope for the best as far as theft is concerned.

We do have 1000 dollar premium audio coverage on our vehicles though either way...so if ever stolen we can have it replaced easily..

-J

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Hi,

I actually may have another set of disc? let me check on that....I have installed d3's in nearly every family members car after they have seen our set up....

You dont have any disc for your D3?? I'm guessing you just use the garmin for nav and the D3 solely for radio/ipod??

Ill check my Xterra install pics...I should have the pics showning which ones i used, but it looks like you got yours perfect....you just need the Metra trim kit ring im using...

I do know that i loved the way the D3 mounts in the Xterra...very solid steel brackets, etc....I actually got security fasteners and even "back strapped" it into the dash with sheet metal screws into the rear dash steel piping...

I use a little of "sight unseen" methodology....and both my wife and I carry small black kitchen towels in your vehicles........when we park anywhere, we simply throw it over the dash and it hides the navigations....."out of sight, out of mind" and hope for the best as far as theft is concerned.

We do have 1000 dollar premium audio coverage on our vehicles though either way...so if ever stolen we can have it replaced easily..

-J
I bought the D3 here used from another member. So it didnt come with any of the accessories. I just use the garmin for the nav anyway.

I have the install kit somewhere in the garage, but I just got tired of messing with the deck, so I haven't gone back to install it yet. I was going to install it when I wired up amps and subs, but now that the wife is driving the X, she isn't interested in that stuff....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts