Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking to take delivery on a new 2008 CC long bed 4X4 LE sometime next week. My wife and I are also looking for a travel trailer and found what we think is a great layout and match for our needs. I know there are a lot of towing gurus out there and could use some advice.

I towed boats for many years so I am not new to towing however, I have never had to do the math as I always had it done professionally. My towing is primarily done on Long Island and most camp sites are between 20 and 60 miles away but can’t rule out a yearly out of state trip. Most of it is flat highway driving on Long Island. So here is the trailer and its capacities:

Trailer weight: 2007 Crossroads Zinger TT ZT29DB
Dry weight is 6662 lbs.
GVWR weight is 11015 lbs.
Carry capacity is 4061 lbs.
Hitch weight is 880 lbs.
Hitch weight ratio 13%
Water capacities ALL 40 gallons each.

And so no one has to go to the Nissan site, here are the capacities for the specific truck I am buying:

Tow Capacity for the 2008 Nissan Titan Crew Cab Long bed LE 4X4:
Maximum Payload is 1582 lbs.
Maximum tow capacity is 8900 lbs with tow package.
Curb weight of the truck is 5818 lbs.

So the question is, using a WD hitch, will the Titan be able to tow this trailer safely? Aside from the usual things found in a trailer, we travel pretty light. No large toys on board and Just Me, my wife and a 9 year old daughter. For the most part, the bed of the truck would be empty other than a BBQ. So what do you guy’s think, will this setup work?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My trailer is 6k dry and with the WD hitch it pulls no problem. I did add air bags to get rid of the last 1" of sag though. Check out the TT forum on Trailerlife.com. They are real gurus and have helped out quite a few Titan/Armada guys.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem, but here is your shopping list:

From RV wholesalers . com - RV and Parts

Equal-I-Zer hitch
Prodigy brake controller and harness
2 5/16 ball
and whatever else you see you need.

From PRG - PRG
Air Lift Air Bags
Bilstein shocks

I tow a 8000 pound plus trailer and if you want super smooth towing, this is what I suggest.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. Seems pretty simple. I didn't realize the hitch was so expensive. Cheaper than ending up in a ditch though.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
2008CCLE said:
Thanks for that. Seems pretty simple. I didn't realize the hitch was so expensive. Cheaper than ending up in a ditch though.
Thanks again.
Sorry to say, but $400 for the Equal-I-Zer is cheap.... You can get a lesser hitch for around $300, but you will regret it...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ehh, No reason to go cheap. If its tested and it works well, thats enough for me. And I have seen it mentioned on the forums quite a bit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Off topic, but the 2008 LE CC 4X4 is only rated 8900lbs? I thought they towed a bit more than that. Have they changed the ratings for the 08's?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I would take the TT to a scale and verify the dry weights as you are equipping it. Nasty thing is with past experience manufacturers leave out things like AC, battery(s), and propane tanks out of published dry weights. Just as with trucks GVWR's vary. That 800lb tongue weight may go over 1000 after adding full propane tanks and battery(s). If your Zinger is the model I think it is, my friend has the same one and tows it with a V10 F350. Yes, it is overkill, but when it gets hilly it does work his truck. I tow a 29ft ultralite TT, Max GVWR 7500lbs. My tongue weight is around 750-800lbs ready to roll for a long weekend. I run Reese 1000lb weight distribution bars and DUal Cam sway control. I have loaded close to GVWR on the TT and the truck definitely felt it. My trailer had a sloped nose so it has some aerodynamics. Big thing with towing TT's is wind resistance more than overall weight. The effort it takes to pull the trailer through the air also affects tow weight. At the very least ask if you can take the unit for a test tow and see if it meets your expectations. The Titan is a great truck with plenty of power, but lacks in the payload area a bit. Remember all you load into the truck also reduces your tow rating as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You *should* be able to tow that if you pack lightly. Definitely don't be cheap when it comes to hitches. Get an Equilizer or a Reese Dual Cam. Pay to get it installed if you are hesitant to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I missed the GVWR of the trailer, DUH.. That may end up being more trailer then you and the Titan are comfortable towing.. Once you are loaded up, you WILL be close to the GVWR.. Dry weight is a useless number when comparing trailers. Look for the weight label inside the trailer, usually in the Kitchen area. That one will tell you truer weights of the trailer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts