Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that run your truck until the fuel light comes on, you are killing your fuel pump by doing this. The fuel pump likes to push fuel instead of pulling fuel, with it in the tank it is easy to push fuel and work less, also it cuts down on the noise it makes. The fuel pump uses the fuel in the tank as a coolant, running the fuel very low lets the pump heat up and shorting it's life. With a low level in the tank the filter/sock will pick up all of the debris on the bottom and clog up, this is the only filter between the tank and injectors. Unless you like to drop the tank to replace the pump and/or filter prematurely, keep at least 1/4 tank of fuel so the pump will stay cool and live a long and happy life.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
titanss said:
Those of you that run your truck until the fuel light comes on, you are killing your fuel pump by doing this. The fuel pump likes to push fuel instead of pulling fuel, with it in the tank it is easy to push fuel and work less, also it cuts down on the noise it makes. The fuel pump uses the fuel in the tank as a coolant, running the fuel very low lets the pump heat up and shorting it's life. With a low level in the tank the filter/sock will pick up all of the debris on the bottom and clog up, this is the only filter between the tank and injectors. Unless you like to drop the tank to replace the pump and/or filter prematurely, keep at least 1/4 tank of fuel so the pump will stay cool and live a long and happy life.
Agreed that you that it is not a good practice to run your tank dry. I don't see where running it down until the fuel light comes on hurts anything. Gee wiz, think about it- there is typically 5-7 gallons left when the light comes on! I am sure that cooing of the fuel pump will occur with any volume of fuel running through it, because the ambient temperature of the fuel is not affected as the fuel level lowers. The issue of fouling up a fuel system is more related to how long a person runs on reserve and how often they do it, as well as the quality of fuel that they use.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have heard 2 views on this issue. One is basically along the lines of what has been said above. The other is that if you don't let the tank go almost all the way empty, how are you supposed to get the crud and crap out of the tank. I don't buy this second argument. It may have been true when there was no fuel filter at all, but I would think any crud in the tank would now be caught by the fuel filter (and likely clog it over time).

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Those of you that run your truck until the fuel light comes on, you are killing your fuel pump by doing this. The fuel pump likes to push fuel instead of pulling fuel
You may mean well, but don't tell people stuff like this when it isn't true...What do you think? people should fuel up at half tank, and Nissan is holding back the truth...?

1) ALL pumps of ANY kind like to push liquid rather then try to create sufficient vacuum to draw liquid thru them....as long as there is fuel at the pump inlet (see #3 below) there will be no issues...

2) Titans have about 6-7 gals of fuel left when the low level light comes on....Plenty of fuel to prevent any pump issues.

3) Modern pumps have a built-in well that keeps them in fuel at much lower levels then when they first started putting electrical pumps in fuel tanks.

So now you've warned us the sky is falling, but didn't know enough to educate us...:eek:ldschool

·
Registered
520 Posts
loufish said:
So now you've warned us the sky is falling, but didn't know enough to educate us...:eek:ldschool
LOL I'm steeling this quote on you :Warp:

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
loufish said:
You may mean well, but don't tell people stuff like this when it isn't true...What do you think? people should fuel up at half tank, and Nissan is holding back the truth...?

1) ALL pumps of ANY kind like to push liquid rather then try to create sufficient vacuum to draw liquid thru them....as long as there is fuel at the pump inlet (see #3 below) there will be no issues...

2) Titans have about 6-7 gals of fuel left when the low level light comes on....Plenty of fuel to prevent any pump issues.

3) Modern pumps have a built-in well that keeps them in fuel at much lower levels then when they first started putting electrical pumps in fuel tanks.

^^^^What he said^^^^

·
Registered
301 Posts
Company i use to work for made fuel pumps, and they are tested for these conditions for long hours and nothing will happen to the motor when its empty because the temp. motor is designed for is never reached. So I'll never worry about motor burning, if the motor is made right.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
A couple more things to add...

Crud in the tank is crud in the tank, it doesn't float. The pump sits in the lowest point of the tank, so over time the crud will collect there anyway. Running the fuel low will not change how much crud is sucked up. With plastic tanks and filters at the gas pumps, you should not be getting much, if any, crap in your tank. Metal tanks that slowly rust due to condensation are a big source of crap in the tank, but this is something we don't have to worry about.

Second, there is a screen on the fuel pump AND an in-line fuel filter. To say there is nothing between the fuel pump and the fuel injectors is a flat-out lie.

I'm sure your intentions were good, but it does no one any good if your good intentions are surrounded by misinformation.

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Yahooligan said:
A couple more things to add...

Crud in the tank is crud in the tank, it doesn't float. The pump sits in the lowest point of the tank, so over time the crud will collect there anyway. Running the fuel low will not change how much crud is sucked up. With plastic tanks and filters at the gas pumps, you should not be getting much, if any, crap in your tank. Metal tanks that slowly rust due to condensation are a big source of crap in the tank, but this is something we don't have to worry about.

Second, there is a screen on the fuel pump AND an in-line fuel filter. To say there is nothing between the fuel pump and the fuel injectors is a flat-out lie.

I'm sure your intentions were good, but it does no one any good if your good intentions are surrounded by misinformation.

:cheers:
I don't believe the titan has an inline fuel filter. It only has the one on the pump.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
helomech said:
I don't believe the titan has an inline fuel filter. It only has the one on the pump.
Huh, weird. I looked it up on everythingnissan.com and it came up with a part, but I'm not seeing it anyplace else. I can't check my truck since it's in the shop. :(

In any event, the rest of what I said should hold true.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Yahooligan said:
Huh, weird. I looked it up on everythingnissan.com and it came up with a part, but I'm not seeing it anyplace else. I can't check my truck since it's in the shop. :(

In any event, the rest of what I said should hold true.
Yeah, there shouldn't be any reason for people to worry about junk in there fuel. I never looked up the filter, but have read on here many times that there is no inline. I don't think it would be hard to add one if someone wanted to.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yahooligan said:
Second, there is a screen on the fuel pump AND an in-line fuel filter. To say there is nothing between the fuel pump and the fuel injectors is a flat-out lie:cheers:
A LIE!!!!! Show me some pics of the in-line fuel filter. I have been working on fuel injected trucks with the pump in the tank for over 17 years, and i have not found a in-line fuel filter on my titan yet, owned it for over 1.5 years. PROVE ME WRONG! With only a filter/sock in the tank is a poor design by nissan, but thay say this is all we need.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
There is no in line filter. That has been documented many times.

Now, where would be the safest and most convenient place to install an in line filter? Is the line from the tank a low pressure line? I'm hesitant to open an OEM fuel system if it increases risk of leakage/fire...but I would like to have a second filter. How fine is the primary fiter in microns? What microns should be used?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
titanss said:
A LIE!!!!! Show me some pics of the in-line fuel filter. I have been working on fuel injected trucks with the pump in the tank for over 17 years, and i have not found a in-line fuel filter on my titan yet, owned it for over 1.5 years. PROVE ME WRONG! With only a filter/sock in the tank is a poor design by nissan, but thay say this is all we need.
Dang dude, mellow out and read the entire thread before you spaz. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
LMAO...I just LOVE it when people get their panties in a bunch over absolutely nothing. Todays plastic tanks, as mentioned earlier, don't need any fancy filters anymore. the "sock", so to speak, must be of a fine enough material to do the job or we'd all be having problems. I wouldn't try and challenge a mechanic with 17 years experience on the subject because I'll admit my knowledge is limited only to my personal experience but I just don't see running the tank low causing problems. Running empty is probably worse for the engine period.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
The gasoline should be filtered before it gets into the Titan's
gas tank. Any reputable gasoline retailer should have
filters of this type inside the pump housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This post was stared because running the tank low on fuel WILL short'n the life of our fuel pump, it uses the fuel in the tank as a coolant. When the pump is running it produces heat, and it heats up the fuel in the tank. When you run with little fuel in the tank, the pump heats up the fuel a lot faster than if it was half full, that equates to the pump not cooling down properly. Would you run your truck if the radiator was very low on antifreeze/coolant? The only reason i mentioned the filter is a couple members have had fuel delivery problems by the filter clogging up when ran low on fuel. I have never had to drop the tank to replace any fuel pump in the vehicle's i have owned, 8 EFI vehicles with over 1,000,000mi. combined, because i always fuel up when i get around the 1/4 mark. When you have replaced the pump 3X more than recommended, just remember this post.
I did not say i was a mechanic, just owned, modded and serviced my own EFI vehicle's since 1990, bought my first truck in 1987, 1984 nissan 720.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts